Understanding Substance Use Disorder
Time & Location
About The Event
Melissa Sichting, LCSW, LCAC is a Licensed Clinical Social Worker and a Licensed Clinical Addiction Counselor with 15 years of experience. Melissa began her career working specifically with children and adolescents. She worked as a case manager providing wrap around services within the school system and in homes with families. After earning her MSW, Melissa began to facilitate an Intensive Outpatient Program and aftercare services with a focus in addictions. She then began to work in crisis management and triage assessment for individuals with mental health and/or addictions issues in the VA system. Melissa worked at the VA as an outpatient mental health therapist or social worker for over 12 years.
Melissa’s goal for this training is to help make individuals aware of all facets that go into drug/alcohol abuse. Her hope is to help foster parents understand the neurobiology of substance use/misuse and why it's a chronic brain disorder.
Melissa will be covering the following topics:
- Why it matters?
- ACEs, trauma, and SUD – How are they connected?
- Addiction and the brain
We are excited to announce that we are now offering childcare at our trainings!
What you need to know:
- Childcare is limited. Sign up early!
- At this time, childcare is open to youth ages 3-7 years of age.
- Adult volunteers will have Reference, Background and CPS checks done.
- Please arrive 15 minutes before training to allow time to get your kids settled. Classes will start promptly at 9:00am.
*Certificates will be handed out at end of class.
Limited scholarships available for foster parents, please contact Renae: R.Furnee@resourcesofhope.org for more information.
- Understanding SUD$10$100$0